Sunday, August 28, 2011

Object of Value

I read this article on Imaginative Conservative. I liked this quote:

Deriding the Heller majority's focus on "history," Breyer argues that judges should instead decide cases based on "values." It's fine to consider what the Founders valued, but the point of having a written constitution is to protect some things that the Founders valued especially highly--such as freedom of the press and the Right to Keep and Bear Arms--from transient changes in the "values" of judges or legislators.

This further encourages me that our vocabulary really does affect our way of thinking about the world, and that we really can't be too careful about our speech. The word "value" has to have an object, otherwise it merely suggests a devotion to... something. It could be anything. Terrorists have values too, you know. 

Other than that, I hope to buy a gun soon. But hunger is a greater chain than any other, so i may have to buy food first. 


-Keaton
        <><

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home