Monday, May 06, 2013

DIY, Domesticity, and the Professional World

I read this article. It was decent, but I do not agree with all of her analyses. It's worth reading, which is why I posted this response. Read it.

Inline image 1
(Image via knittingninja. All rights reserved to them. Buy their product.)

Some kinds of DIY "handcrafts" might be what she calls a "class privilege," but I doubt that all of them are. In times past, "DIY" activities were born of necessity and prudence, not boredom or privilege. Today's homemakers are no different: the actual crafts may have changed with the times, but the spirit of keeping house and home together from within... has not. Domesticity is about the hard work  of making a home, quite apart from earning a wage in the professional workforce. Human life cannot be measured merely in terms of economic, professional contributions. Asking to monetize DIY craft hobbies as a way to join the professional economy... glaringly  misunderstands the nature of the domestic calling, and its importance in the well ordered community.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home